Monday, October 3, 2011

Sauteed Kale with Corn


I have a new obsession...I feel like I say that a lot but really I get in these crazy periods of eating the same thing for an entire week, then change to another obsession. For the moment, my obsession is kale. Kale is one of the few dark greens that I like, and I didn't even know that I liked it since I usually sneer at the over-cooked greens I get in the south (sorry collard/mustard greens!). Although kale can be a bit tough or chewy if not cooked properly, with these simple steps you can make some darn tasty greens!

Sauteed Kale with Corn
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 bunch of Kale, pulled off the stem and chopped in big pieces
2-3 cloves garlic
1.5 T olive oil
1/8 cup water
salt/pepper
3/4 cup corn



Directions:

  • Start with a huge pan with sides. This is important as you'll need to load the pan in order to get enough wilted greens.
  • As with most of my recipes, start by heating your oil on medium-high heat with the chopped garlic. 
  • Once you can smell garlic (1-2 minutes), add the chopped kale.


  • Stir the greens until the kale wilts to half the original size (3-4 minutes). 
  • Season the kale with salt and pepper. 
  • Add the corn and water, and put a lid on the kale. Steam for 5 minutes, or until the kale reaches your desired tenderness, stirring every few minutes. 


I like to eat this dish wish some brown rice or quinoa and call it a meal! But if you want to have sauteed kale as a side dish, here's a great modification.  Don't use the corn but add 1-2 tsp of balsamic vinegar when you add the water. Serve under seared scallops or fish. The vinegar adds a nice brightness to the kale which pairs perfectly with fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment