Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sesame-Ginger Steak


I LOVE Asian cuisine, but ordering Chinese/Thai/Sushi every night would be very un-Graduate Gourmet of me. So to cut back on my eating out budget, I've recently tried my hand at some of my favorite carryout dishes. They are not 100% authentic of course, but this recipe get the job done for less money than a delivery fee....ok, at least less than a delivered meal.

Like most budget-conscious people, I usually stick with economical chicken for my protein in my Asian dishes. However, this time I was craving some steak.  I found a nice looking rib-eye, trimmed it of most of it's exterier fat, and marinated it to give it some great flavor! What I especially love about this dish is that although the marinating took a half an hour, the cooking was complete in less than 5 minutes! Pair the steak with some brown rice and sauteed Asian veggies and you've got yourself a meal!

Ingredients
1 ribeye, new york strip (or whatever is priced the best that day) steak
2 inches of ginger, peeled & chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
1 T rice wine vinegar
1 t dark sesame oil
2 T low-sodium soy sauce

Directions
  • Prep Meat.  First you want to trim you meat of all the exterior fat, then slice the meat into thin strips.
    • TIP: When you get home from work, throw the steak in the freezer while you mix up your marinade. By the time you're marinade is complete, the meat will be just cold enough that it will slice much more easily!
  • Mix Marinade. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
  • Marinate Meat.  Gently toss the meat in the marinade and place in the fridge for 30 minutes; mixing the mixture again halfway through.

Not the prettiest picture....but what raw meat is?

  • Saute. Grab a large skillet and heat over high heat.  Carefully place the meat and marinade in the hot pan, stirring frequently. Cook until the meat is to your desired doneness (about 3-5 minutes).


  • Serve. I like to put some brown rice in the bottom of a bowl, add some Asian veggies (shown is the frozen Asian Veggie mix from Trader Joe's), and the meat/sauce.  Serves 2. 




No comments:

Post a Comment