Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blood Oranges


My favorite winter produce has finally arrived!!!!

I was craving some fruit, so I visited my local Whole Foods to grab some produce that does not need refrigeration (to see why, see my last post).  I walked into the produce section to discover a large pile of blood oranges.  My winter produce adventure is almost complete with this Part 4: the blood orange!

Now, some of you may be saying...."Ewww, blood oranges? What does she mean by blood?" Well, this name really comes from the color of the juice.  Although the outside looks like a normal, average orange, the inside shows a deep red color.  The blood orange has a sweeter, less tart taste than a naval orange and I feel it has less acidity.  For this reason, those who usually cannot eat a navel orange may find the blood orange more palatable.

The price at Whole Foods was $1.25 per orange, which is not as economical as other winter citrus fruits.  However, as I'm obsessed with this fruit I don't mind to pay the price for a few.  As more people try blood oranges for themselves, the more available they will become in local groceries and at a lower price.

So try this exotic orange next time you go to the store.  You can mix the juice with club soda for a fancy drink or eat it as is.  Just be careful when peeling and eating this delicious fruit, or your fingers may just be stained red...

2 comments:

  1. yum! I love doing this with fancy citrus: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/mixed-citrus-salad-with-feta-and-mint/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a beautiful salad! I'm going to have to try that some time....

    ReplyDelete