To preface this, I have to admit that my "recipe" for making perfect hard boiled eggs actually comes from Rachael Ray and is not my own magically discovered method. However, every time I make boiled eggs this way, the yolk turn out perfectly yellow every time! Never again will you see a gray/slimy boiled egg.... Basically this is a guaranteed perfect boiled egg!!
As a young professional on a budget, eggs are a cheap way to add protein to my diet with little effort. You can add them to salads (like chicken or tuna niçoise), chop & mix them with mayo for a sandwich, or simply eat as is for breakfast on the go.
How to Boil an Egg:
- Put cold eggs in a small saucepan and cover them with cool water.
- Cover the pot.
- Turn on heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
- After the water comes to a rolling boil, turn off the heat and leave the pot covered for 10 minutes. Do not move the pot from the stove eye it was on during heating!
- After 10 minutes, gently drain the eggs (hold the lid on the pan and tilt over the sink to let water out) and run cold water over the eggs until they are cooled.
- At this point you can peel the eggs or put them in the fridge for enjoying later!