Friday, May 20, 2011

One-Pan Balsalmic Chicken & Garlic-Rosemary Potatoes


I like to cook...you all know that by now, right? I especially like to cook for my friends, since it is usually cheaper/easier to cook for 2 or more than just myself.  So what do I do when friends are busy, I've worked overtime, and don't feel like standing over a stove to cook? A one pan, oven-baked meal, of course!

I absolutely LOVE roasting things.  There is just a completely different flavor profile to your food when you roast it versus sauteing. The food almost feels more comforting and homier with this method of cooking.  I love this meal not only because I can cook it in one pan, but because I can use my toaster oven. Which is necessary in reducing the heat in my apartment as the temperature in DC begins to increase exponentially. Can anyone else not believe how much it costs to cool your apartment in the summer?!  But I digress...

This meal basically came from my two favorite roasted dishes that simplified for one. Chicken legs are super cheap ($2.50-ish per 6 legs at Trader Joe's!), and you can purchase a potato for less than $1, making this meal <$5 to make if you keep a few basic staples around your house.  So whip this dish up, plate it up pretty, and enjoy the fact that there is no clean up! Well, except for the plate you eat it on...but still, that's pretty great for a nice weeknight meal.


Ingredients
2 chicken wings
2 T olive oil, separated
2-3 T balsamic vinegar (eyeball it by counting to 3 while pouring)
2-3 red potatoes (depending on size), diced
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
couple sprigs of rosemary (to taste)
salt & pepper

Directions
  • Prepare your pan
    • Since the chicken doesn't take much room, take one small piece of aluminum foil for the chicken and one larger one for the potatoes. I would say the size ratio was 1/3 of the pan for chicken to 2/3 for the potatoes.  
    • Use the two edges of the aluminum foil that touch in the middle to make a "wall".  This will separate the two dishes. 
    • Wrap the remaining foil around the pan.
  • Chicken. 
    • Place the wings in the smaller portion of the dish. 
    • Pour on top of the chicken 1/2 T of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
    • Top with salt & pepper to taste.
  • Potatoes.
    • Add all the chopped veggies into the larger side of the dish. 
    • Drizzle remaining olive oil (1 -1.5 T) over the potatoes. 
    • Sprinkle salt & pepper and add rosemary. Mix gently to combine.
  • Bake.
    • I like to always roast at 400 degrees, but if your toaster oven is nicer than mine (which it's not hard to be), then you may want to turn it to 375.  I love toaster ovens because they take no time at all to pre-heat, so just turn it on when you start chopping your veggies.
    • After 20 minutes of baking, gently mix potatoes and turn chicken for even coloring.
    • Bake another 15 minutes and turn again.
    • Continue to bake until potatoes are tender and chicken completely cooked (another 10-15 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment