Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Graduate Gourmet Recipe: Pork Chops with Sauteed Mushrooms


Still trying to use my veggies from Washington Green Grocer, and craving some pork chops, I went searching for a good mushroom sauce recipe.  I found a couple good ones, then played with my own creation.  Here's what I did, and I think it came out pretty well! I think the mushrooms would be delicious on chicken as well. Everyone will think that you are a gourmet chef with very little effort.  This goes great with some steamed green beans or Roasted Acorn Squash.

Ingredients 
3- 4oz pork chops, no bone
2 t olive oil, divided
1 medium shallot, minced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 8oz package of mushrooms (white or baby bella), sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1-2 t of Dijon mustard (to taste)
1 T fresh rosemary
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  • Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.  Season the pork chops with salt & pepper, and place in the warm skillet.
  • Cook the pork chops until browned on both sides; approximately 2-3 minutes on both sides for a 4 oz chop.
  • Once the chops have cooked, place them on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest.
  • In the same pan that you cooked the chops in, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil, shallots, and garlic.  Cook until they become fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
  • Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until they begin to brown, 3-4 minutes
  • Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, and stir the bottom bits to make a sort of sauce.  Once the wine is almost completely cooked out, add the Dijon mustard. ( I did not have plain Dijon mustard, so I used country Dijon.)
  • Once the mushrooms are nice and brown and cooked, add salt & pepper to taste.  If you want more of a "sauce" you can add 1/2 cup of chicken or vegetable broth to the pan after you deglaze it with the wine.  I like a bit less sauce, so the amount from the pork drippings and the wine was plenty for me.
  • Take the mushrooms off the heat and mix in the rosemary.
  • To serve, take one chop, spoon 1/3 of the mushroom mixture over the top, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment