Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review: Good Stuff Eatery


I have been meaning to head over to Good Stuff Eatery ever since Spike (the owner) was on Top Chef...which was several seasons ago.  (I know, I know, worst Top Chef fan ever.)  So when a friend of mine asked for a place to meet for lunch near Capitol Hill, I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

We got to the restaurant at 2 pm on a Saturday afternoon half expecting to have the place to ourselves.  Boy were we wrong!  There was a line of about 20 people, and another 8 to 10 people standing near the entrance waiting for their food to go; this is not even counting all the people seated eating!

It is hard to tell from the restaurant name, but Good Stuff Eatery is primarily a burger joint.  Gourmet burger restaurants have become en vogue over the past few years, and I feel like they are popping up all around DC.  Good Stuff Eatery's burgers are not the biggest you will see, but they are very juicy.  This is especially important considering I had the Turkey Burger, which typically can be very dry.  The turkey burger was served on an oat wheat bun with avacado, munster cheese, lettuce and tomato.  The ingredients were of good quality, and you can see from signs in the restaurant that they are dedicated to local produce. However, I'm not sure that the burger lived up to my "Top Chef" expectations.  Still, they have several creative burgers, including the Sunnyside which has a fried egg on top, and one named after President Obama, which sets them apart from other burger restaurants.


My friend and I also split a regular fry.  They came out colder and squishier than I normally like, but I liked the added zest of Thyme and Rosemary of the Spike's Fries.  I also like the mayo bar with different flavored mayos. We ate our french fries with Mango Mayo and Chipotle Mayo (separately of course).  The mango was better with the less seasoned fries and the chipotle with the more seasoned.

Overall, I think that Good Stuff Eatery is a cool place to check out if you are in the Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area.  Although the burger was not the best, it definitely ranks on my top 10 list. The price was mid-range for typical gourmet burger places.  My friend and I each had a burger, one regular fry, and two drinks for around $20.  So if you want to have a "Top Chef" experience, head over to Good Stuff Eatery for a good burger.


Rating (out of *****): ***
Price (out of $$$):  $
Address: 303 Pennsylvania Ave S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003 (Capitol Hill/Eastern Market) 
Website:  http://goodstuffeatery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment