Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: The Passenger

A few nights ago I visited The Passenger for happy hour drinks. I arrived at 6:00 pm to no more than 5 people in the bar.  However, this worked to my advantage as I had the complete attention of my bartender.  The Passenger specializes in customized cocktails, but also has a short list of beers & wines.  I was asked what my mood was for that evening, and said "Vodka, fruity, not too sweet." What I received was one of the best drinks I have had in a while.  It was vodka with passion fruit and ginger beer.  It sounds a bit odd, but it was very good.  Most of the drinks we got that night were of the same caliber, and the bar definitely began to fill out as the evening progressed.

If you look up this venue on Yelp, you will find an even split of those who like the venue versus those who do not.  I personally liked the place.  It is cleaner than most bars in the area and had almost a "speakeasy" vibe to it. As you enter, you'll see several tables along the wall to the left and 3 smaller booths to the right.  Hidden by the doors are cozy larger booths that have a view of the street.  If I was to bring a big group here, I would definitely advocate getting there early just to snag those booths! They also have several tables in the back, so don't feel that you won't have a place to sit.  Also, there are also no TVs to be found, so it is a great place for conversation and good drinks. 

In regards to food, we got mostly appetizers, which were good but a bit pricey.  This could actually be said about the whole tab.  Although we went for happy hour, it did not appear that the prices were any lower than normal.  Still, they charged us for one less drink, which was nice.  If you're looking for a place with a good vibe, drinks, and conversation, this is a great place to go.

Rating (out of *****): ***+ 
Price (out of $$$):  $$
Address:1021 7th Street Northwest, Washington D.C., DC 20001 (Convention Center/Mt. Vernon Square) 
Website:  http://www.passengerdc.com 
I apologize that I did not take any pictures...I will attempt to post pictures for any further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment